Monday, April 14, 2008

Somebody pinch me...

Went in for beta this morning. Just got off the phone with Dr.:

"Hello, Sully...Congratulations, you have a positive test!"

Two positive pee sticks pretty much gave me the idea, but hearing it officially from the Dr. really sealed the deal. I'm pregnant. Just typing that is absurd to me! I didn't ask for the actual beta, because I figured I might obsess over it. I go in next Monday for follow up beta and sonogram.

So, now comes the part of telling people. This has been a convo that the Barron and I have been having over the past week. My parents are aware of everything and my Mom has been a constant source of support throughout this entire process. However, she has a case of "loose lips". She knows I'm going to find out today, but I've managed to hold her off until the weekend before I tell her. Hubby and I wanted to have some time alone to process the news, and I know as soon as I tell her, the secret will be out. We've worked so hard to get here, I'm not ready for everyone and their brother to know...especially since it's sooo early and there's a ga-zillion things that can still go wrong. Am I wrong for holding off? We're not telling anyone else, either, but this is not your usual "Surprise, I'm pregnant!" situation. Gah...so, even though I get the awesomest news ever, I'm robbed of the well-thought-out surprising of the family members.

12 comments:

Nadine said...

Great news! congrats

sara said...

First let me say how excited I am for you...that's great news! Second, I know exactly how you feel. I think I even wrote something about how I felt robbed from part of the joy of the whole pregnancy journey due to the pesky infertility. I completely know what you mean. Take all the time you need to tell people, it'll still be exciting when you do :-) Hugs...you made the first big step!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic! Congratulations on the positive beta! Yeah, that must feel strange - but great. :-)

Candi said...

ALLLLLLLRIGHT!!!!!! AWESOME! Send some of that leftover baby dust my way! Can't wait to hear how much it went up!

JJ said...

You are a brave (and SMART) girl not asking for that beta number--I give you mad props! ;)
So happy for you!

Tara said...

OH MY GOD SULLY!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!

I'm so happy to hear this news!

I agree with JJ, you are very VERY smart for not asking for the beta.

I have the very same problem with telling people. I tried to keep it quiet that we were doing IVF again so that I wouldn't have to tell too many people the results until I was ready to. But my parents knew of course so I had to tell them. And now my grandma knows, my mom's hairdresser knows, my mom's coworkers know, my dad's coworkers know, my brother's drinking buddies probably know.... *sigh* and I've still not processed it fully in my head yet. So it's somewhat difficult when they want to gush and fuss about all of it.

So I understand how you feel. IVF robs us of so many things. Pregnancy announcements on your own terms being one of them.

Really happy and excited for you though...

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for you too. Wow. It's so fun that I've been watching you since before you started this cycle and it worked!! Aaaahhh! Just too cool.

I must ask you--how did you hold off on telling your mom? My mom knows the day I am supposed to test and I feel like I won't want to tell her the results that day. I'm thinking of lying to her and telling her I'm not going to test until a few days after that so I can be sure it's accurate or something.

Sully said...

tam - I pretty much told her that I won't be telling her till Saturday. She knows I'm getting beta today. She's not too happy about it, but I got her to agree to it :)

C said...

Yay! Congratulations!

HereWeGoAJen said...

Congratulations! That's wonderful news!

Ms Heathen said...

Congratulations, Sully.

That's such wonderful news!

Bec said...

Congratulations hon!!! Absolutely brilliant news :)